From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 08:59:45 -0500
On Thu, 27 May 1999 19:20:28 EDT Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]> writes:
><snip>
>
>I concur with the concept of respect and honor. However, right now the
>game is taught to include cheap play and winning at all costs. This is
just
>as true at the youth level. Good behavioral examples in regard to "fair
>play" and sportsmanship should come from the coaches and parents. Sadly
this
>isn't the case very often; too often it's the parents who fight in the
>stands over a call or a hit. That's not role-modeling.

====
YES!!!!

The hardest thing a parent has to do during a game is to shut up when
your kid has just been run over by an oppponent, especially when it is
"unfairly" done.  Too often we scream at the ref, the opponent and then
at junior to get up and get even.  Oops!  Fair play and sportsmanship
went out the window.

I always told my kids to get even on the one place that counts - the
scoreboard.  In some cases that meant that the don't run it up rule was
relaxed.

Joe

PS  When you take a comment out of context (which you did), you can have
anyone mean anything to fit any point.  You have no idea how I
retaliated.  Usually it was waiting for the person to have his head down
and then deliver a legal hit.

PPS  Incidence of injury - WHAT TYPES OF INJURY???  Charley horse or
broken bones, or lacerations?  Geez, Vicki, every time you do one of
these things, you're digging a bigger hole.  Of couse a full face shield
would eliminate facial lacerations.  It's like saying that an umbrella
will keep you head dryer in a rainstorm than a hat.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]