From:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Kannenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 18:27:02 -0400
Several people have suggested that one reason the NC$$ should allow
face shields is to provide better preparation for play after college
in pro leagues. I have to question whether this really is a good reason
to change the rules, particularly on a safety issue. College athletics
should be more than just preparation for the pros. I think the issue
needs to be decided on its own merits and not based on the decisions
made by pro leagues. If the pros have some convincing evidence
(scientific, not anecdotal) that half shields are as safe or lead
to fewer injurie, then that's a different story.

Personally, I can't imagine wanting to be on the ice among waving sticks
and 90 mph pucks without full face protection. Of course, I've only
played about two years of intramural level hockey.

Keith Kannenberg
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://mae.cornell.edu/kannenb/