From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 08:40:23 -0500
Vicki wrote:

> A knock to the chin can cause a concussion with or without a mouthguard. I
> know several players who incurred concussions despite a mouthguard.
> Another fact from the article: despite mouthguards dental injuries were
> ten times higher with half-shields.
>
> Bite down on that.

Indeed.  When you consider that professional boxers get knocked out by blows
to the chin, and they wear mouthguards, then the idea that a mouthguard
prevents concussions in pretty silly.  It protects teeth and, more
importantly, helps prevent broken jaws.

Is the half shield a good idea?  I don't know.  And this from a motorcycle
rider who seldom wears a helmet.  But Vicki is also right in noting the
importance of this test.

Tom Rowe                                          [log in to unmask]
Home of Division 3 National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners Up 92 & 98