From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 22:02:45 EDT
RE: Nathan's Hockey-L post

Nathan, I hope I can clarify for you the importance of this study. There has
never been a recorded accounting of one team with and one team without the
shield in a test situation. This is the first. For that reason alone it's
invaluable. Hopefully, further evaluation with similar studies in other
leagues will help make a final determination.

This TEST study is considered the most "substantive and scientifically sound
study yet on the protection offered by hockey headgear." That comes from an
article written by Adam Mertz for the Capital Times in Wisconsin. The study
was conducted by the Calgary Flames team Doctor, who is also a professor at
the University of Calgary. There is no other comprehensive study on face
protection. I believe the NCAA is trying to emulate this study by testing
something equivalent in the USA junior leagues, before they commit it to
Division 1. In a conversation I had last year with Steve Hagwell of the NCAA
rules committee, he said that no changes could be made until enough
information was available showing one was safer than the other.

A knock to the chin can cause a concussion with or without a mouthguard. I
know several players who incurred concussions despite a mouthguard. Another
fact from the article: despite mouthguards dental injuries were ten times
higher with half-shields.

Bite down on that.

Vicki Price
Concussion Free Zone