From:
Bob Svec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 10:04:19 -0400
At 07:28 AM 4/8/99 -0600, Arthur Berman wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Tony Buffa wrote:
>
>> Hey Larry:
>>
>> I hope you refer to Wooden only in the Won-Lost sense. Wooden was much
>> more than a coach, he was a teacher of life and a great humanitarian. I
>> should say "was", should be "is".
>>
>Walsh may be a great bench coach, and he certainly knows how to produce a
>winner, but I still believe it reflects poorly on Maine that he was not
>fired.  Walsh, and Maine because they retained his services, lack basic
>ethics.
>
>My sincere congratulations to the Maine team and its fans, but not to the
>institution and its coach.

It is sad to see people with hearts so black and souls so filled with hate
that they are unable to forgive others who have made mistakes.  I know they
must be or more accurately think they are "perfect people" in every way.  I
hope you "perfect people" never become parents or are put in positions of
authority because you will surely castigate and abandon your children or
forever trash your subordinates if they make human errors.

I also give my sincere congratulations to the Maine team and its fans, but
also to the institution and its coach.  The university showed courage in
working with Walsh in time of troubles even though they could have deserted
him. If they had done that Maine probably would have only received a light
slap on the wrist from the NCAA.   That appears to be the normal easy way
out that is so common when the NCAA comes down on an institution.

It is clear Shawn Walsh learned from the experience and has shown both great
coaching ability and humility.  Shortly after the winning goal was scored
and his team was delirious with joy, Walsh was interviewed by ESPN.  He said
something like this...the first National Championship was for the State of
Maine but this one is for the team because of all of the difficulties they
overcame.  The players did not cause the problems with the NCAA it was my
fault.

It takes a big and decent man to expose his human frailties on national TV
when he could be celebrating with his team.  I doubtf the "perfect people"
are capable of understanding that.

Bob

GO BUCKS!!!!