Sender:
From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 16:56:02 -0500

First, the proposed WCHA expansion is just that: a proposal. It is doubtful
that it will take place next year, if ever.

I don't see a proposed expansion either fair or unfair. It is not
an ethical dilemma. As I understand Brads comments, they are

     He foresees a schedule of one nighters of various WCHA opponents
         outside the WCHA Division that one is in.

     He claims that fans will miss a regular appearing WCHA team.

     He further states that the standings will be obscured within the WCHA.

I afraid I don't understand his points and certainly don't agree with them.
In the first point, travel distances and arrangements almost prohibit
one game appearances within the expanded WCHA. I foresee two game sets
with non-divisional opponents alternating years.  In the second case,
some fans might miss seeing a far away opponent; however most of the
rivalries would be preserved. In the third case, I don't see any difference
in the computing standings. (Lakeview Arena in Marquette should count for
two dozen points to NMU in any case. :-) )

A twelve team WCHA with three divisions is attractive and offers high
quality Div I hockey to a wider audience. At the same time, it reduces
travel costs and increases the visibility of regional teams to each other.
UAF and UAA have very good programs in place and are bound to get better
in the future. The real problem will be in finding the right team to
flesh out North or Central division. This means stealing from the CCHA
and there in lies the rub.  It does not appear that additional Minnesota
teams can be brought in due to State budget constraints. I have not heard
of any Wisconsin lower divisions desiring a move to Div I. In Michigan,
the only teams that can be moved are now in the CCHA. I like the idea of
having LSSU and/or UM and/or MSU as opponents. However, such a move causes
severe problems to the CCHA. It appears that Penn State might
be able to support a Div I team. If so, it could fit the CCHA and thus
allow one of the Michigan teams to join the WCHA.

I would like to see UAF as a WCHA opponent. How it works is still an
enigma. We will have to wait until the WCHA meetings and probably then
some.

Walt Olson
MTU