Sender:
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 1994 02:01:16 -0500
Shane Johnson is a freshman defenseman playing for BU.

Why he is playing is beyond me.

I am sometimes critical of certain BU defensemen (see my claims that Kaj Linna
was overrated last year. - P.S. - he has gotten MUCH better this year), but
Johnson is a different case.

I have not seen a defenseman on a BU team look this bad since my freshman year
('88-'89)

Other fans remind me that Phil vonStefanelli (BU'91) was a turkey his first two
years, implying that there is hope for Johnson, but I am not talking about
Johnson two years from now... he plays without his head now.  Why is he
playing?

BU has 8 defensemen on the team.  Tonight, with one benched, Donato was playing
up front at left wing.  Every time any situation comes up, it is always Donato
is moved up front, Foster is benched, another defenseman is disciplined, or
something.  Johnson continues to play and cost BU almost a goal a game.

His lack of thought in his play is constant and is exemplified in two
particular plays.

Back two months ago, when BU was up in Maine, Johnson let Kariya go behind him
and ignored him... until the puck was passed up to him and Kariya broke in
alone.  Parker yelled at him and Johnson shadowed Kariya the rest of the night.
   I'm sorry, but when you know that a player like Kariya is on the ice, and
  you are a defenseman, AND YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE HE IS, there is something
  wrong.

Tonight, with Providence breaking out of the zone, Johnson was a little tired
(NOT injured) and so headed to the bench.  When Providence crossed their own
blue-line, he was around the logo.  No BU player had left the bench yet, and
the other BU defenseman was getting beat.  He finally stepped off the ice at
the same depth as the two Prov players breaking out alone, which was about
half-way between the red-line and the BU blue-line.  By the time he had blindly
skated off of the ice and a sub scrambled to try and catch the 2-0 break-in
by Providence, it was too late.
  If Johnson had already reached the bench when this had happened, I could see
him getting off of the ice, but he was a couple of yards out from the bench and
no other player had entered yet.  He didn't even notice that there was a break-
away occurring.

I am used to watching other teams players make bone-headed plays that BU
capitalizes on and scores.  I have been spoiled by watching BU defensemen
play consistent and solid defense.  I now find myself repeatedly asking where
Johnson's head is when he's out there.  He is tough and reasonably quick.  He
is a talented young man... but one who needs desperately to THINK when he is
on the ice.

My biggest complaint is that BU has a plethora of good/great defensemen.  We
do not have to play someone who's head appears to be anywhere but on the game
he is playing.

* The opinions expressed are entirely my own and in no way reflect the position
of ogreship, the Austin Prep teachers' association, or the BU intramural ice
broomball team, "S&M" *  :-)

Just the humble bablings of a crazed hockey fan...

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre