Sender:
From:
Michael Collingridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 09:34:05 -0500
John H writes...

> Well, I'm not the definitive truth, but I believe the correct story is that
> Coach Berenson was the first to go *directly* from college to the pros.  He
> played for Michigan and the Montreal Canadiens in the span of about 24 hours
> (1962?).

Yep. That's how I have heard it. The day following his final game as a
Wolverine, Red boarded a train to Boston and played for the Canadiens
that night. I believe this would have been in 1963 (his's senior year
was 1962-63).

Sure there have been college players to play in the NHL before Red
Berenson, but to step out of a college game and right into a NHL
game the next day?

MC
--                | "Here we sit in a branchy row,           | The
Mike Collingridge |  Thinking of beautiful things we know;   | Hockey
Disclaimer: Any   |  Dreaming of deeds that we meant to do,  | Line
views expressed   |  All complete, in a minute or two ..."   | Shift
are only my own.  | -- Rudyard Kipling's _Road-Song_of_the_Bandar-Log_