Sender:
From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1993 11:47:19 -0600
Mark Gibbons writes:
> While driving to work this AM I heard a report on NPR about college
> squeekball
> (blah, blah, blah) and it was mentioned that the Black Coaches Assc. was
> talking
> about a boycott.  The commentator(Finestein, I think) said in effect - well
> thats
> no big deal compared to the threat of players to boycott unless they get a
> share of the money these teams make.  !!!
>
> So that brought a few questions to my mind:
> 1) Is this true?  Can anyone give me more info?

Well, I'll just tell you what I remember from when this made the papers around
here last summer.  Yes, it is true that the black coaches, including Minnesota's
Clem Haskins and Georgetown's John Thompson, were talking about a boycott, but
it's only a boycott of the NC$$ coaches meetings (and I think they DID boycott.)
And it's not really about receiving the money, as much as it's about new
academic standards (and maybe scholarshiip reductions, I'm not sure) that they
feel put black players at a disadvantage.    It sounds like the commentator took
this piece of news and then completely took off on a tangent to get to the
subject of college athletes being paid.  I'm sure the coaches would say that is
NOT what the boycott is/was about.

This only relates to hockey insofaras hockey is under the same restrictions that
the coaches are protesting, but I just wanted to clarify that it is NOT any real
movement to pay college athletes, at least as far as I understand it.
Obligatory hockey content:

Rumored Wisconsin recruit Joe Bianchi is the brother of the Gophers' Tony
Bianchi and former Providence captain STEVE Bianchi  (I remembered it after I
posted last night, and Dan Glumac also remembered it!)

Wisconsin HAS signed (reported in the Star-Tribune today) Edina's Rick Enrico,
who graduated last year and is playing with the St. Paul Vulcans of the USHL
juniors this year.  (Mighty strange that everybody missed recruiting him out of
high school, but he's good enough to be an early signee.  It's not like the
scouts are likely to overlook anybody from Edina.  May be some story behind the
scenes there.  Does he have a brother with the Badgers?  He may have wanted to
wait to get an offer from Wisconsin.  Hmm.  I see he's refered to as a forward
in the Strib, but I think he was a defenseman at Edina, so maybe that switch has
something to do with it.)

St. Cloud has signed another member of the Vulcans, defenseman Andy Vicari from
St. Cloud Tech.

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!