Sender:
From:
David Carroll <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 10:23:28 EDT
Comments:
Converted from PROFS to RFC822 format by PUMP V2.2X
The more I hear the less I like. An organization that allows its
officials to go around like potentates with benefits like those
that Mike described which then finds it reasonable to fire a
coach for an act of human compassion? I don't know about the
rest of you on hockey-l, but this turns my stomach. I'd be ready
to bet that the coach would have sprung for that ticket home for
any student he knew in such a personal bind, athlete or not.
The second issue in the latest digest that got my blood boiling
was this nonsense about refusing to allow taping or stenographing
of interviews that are to be used to make decisions on the careers
and academic futures of many people. Since a number of state
universities are part of the NC$$ and that organization is doing
this theoretically under their auspices, this deprival of due
process is pure and simple unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment.
In a similar situation I was faced with (in my case dealing with
a political party I once was associated with) I simply brought a
tape recorder and someone who took notes. When they tried to prevent
it, I asked if they'd rather have it adjudicated in a court of law.
I made it quite clear that I would not participate without the
recorder and notes, and I also made it clear that I was deadly
serious about pursuing the matter legally. After about a five
minute private huddle, the party buffoons knuckled under, and
then surprisingly enough with the session being preserved for
future review, they didn't have the nerve to take any strong
action against me. Amazing what due process achieves. I would
advise anyone faced with NC$$ garbage to take a similar line,
and I for one would gladly donate to a legal defense fund to
help make good on the threat of legal action.
    Dave Carroll, NYS Div. of the Budget
    [log in to unmask]     (or if path problems ...
*****
* DISCLAIMER:
*    These views are only my own. You didn't seriously think
*    NEW YORK STATE paid me to have/express an opinion, did you?
*****