Sender:
From:
Daniel Orchard-Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 16:55:27 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>Some observations from the plethora of choices available this weekend thanks
>to Troy Newchannels.
>
>Harvard vs. Clarkson
>Why did Harvard start Aaron Israel instead of Tripp Tracy?  Maybe Tomasson
>(sp?) was trying to save Tracy for Saturday night, but I think a coach needs to
>go with his best goaltender throughout the playoffs--a rotation just doesn't
>work.  Can anyone remember who the #2 goalie was to Billy Smith when the
>Islanders won all those Stanley Cups?

Actually, I think Tomassoni (the announcer totally hacked his name the first
night) thought Aaron Israel was doing a better job than Tracy and therefore
started him.  The only reason he used Tracy the second night, IMHO, is that
he wanted Tracy to get a chance against RPI.  I'm sure if Harvard had gone on
to the championship game, Israel would have been starting.

>Clarkson vs. __________
>They are a boring team to watch--because they are completely controlling the
>flow of the game.  Their talent is beginning to dominate games and the defense
>is playing controlled--there just aren't any 3 on 2's or 2 on 1's getting
>through.  They will be in every game from here on out--no blowouts--and if
>they do lose it will be by one goal (isn't that what happened at the beginning
>of the season?)
>It would be a great contest to see Clarkson lock up with BU.
>
>RPI (vs. Colgate, Clarkson)
>1. The Engineers are suffering because they lack a big scoring line, and
>especially a "go to" guy on offense.

Not necessarily a problem for them as long as the defense performs.  The
defense was great for most of the season but made many rookie mistakes.
However, I agree that a "go to" guy would tremendously help RPI.

>2. RPI doesn't have a good concept on the power play.  There is a general lack
>of movement, the forwards don't double down to screen and clog the net, and the
>result is a lot of weak shots from the point.  Clarkson virtually gave them
>the point shot.

Great point.  RPI has had a great deal of trouble with the power play all
year, even though they've gotten their fair share of goals on the pp.  The
big problem is that they seem to give in to the Field House crowd and shoot
when they should pass.  One of the biggest problems has been getting the puck
into the attacking zone and setting up.  Twice this year they gave up short-
handed goals when Craig Hamelin handed the puck over as he skated the puck out
of the defensive zone (he might not be responsible for both the goals I'm
thinking of, but certainly the first one was all his fault).  Anyway, the
power play is a definite weakness of the Engineers.

>3. As practiced by Colgate, the key to stopping the RPI offense if to hold up
>the secondary skaters as they enter the offensive zone.  The whole rush then
>seems to dissipate quickly.
>4. But, RPI is young, and should be improved next year.

Great points.  I'm still learning a great deal about this game and I'll try to
watch what you're talking about.  And like you said, watch out for RPI next
year.  If Neil stays around, or even if he doesn't, the Engineers could be in
competition with Maine and some of the western teams.  I'm looking forward to
it already.

>1994 ECACs
>The T-U implied that the ECAC was very happy with the job Ned Harkness did in
>hosting the tournament at Lake Placid.  It seems like Albany is already bracing
>itself for another rejection.  IMHO the Knick could get more then 14,000 for
>two nights.  Between periods the Empire commentators interviewed the
>Commissioner of the ECAC.  I thought it was telling that that he never once
>mentioned Albany's bid, only praising the Lake Placid operation.

I personally would like to see the tournament here in Albany just so I don't
have to pay for a room.  BUT, I must admit that Lake Placid did a GREAT job
of hosting the tournament.  The facilities there are first rate and the town
is quite charming.  On top of that, Whitehead Mountain is just 15 minutes from
Placid and couple that with the coupons ticketholders received for free
admission to the ski jump complex and the luge and bobsled complex, it makes
for a tremendous weekend.

--
Daniel Orchard-Hays        Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute             '95
"Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."