Sender:
From:
Robert Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1993 18:34:38 -0500
Hey, that rhymes!

Saturday March 20, 1993
1993 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIP GAME at Boston Garden, Boston, Mass.

Maine (39-1-2)          1  -  1  -  3   --   5
Boston Univ. (28-8-2)   0  -  1  -  1   --   2

Scoring:                                                             BU-UM

        UM1, Montgomery 26 (unassisted) 2:56                          0-1

Second period:

        BU1, Brennan 9 (Pandolfo, O'Sullivan) 5:42 PPG                1-1
        UM2, Latendresse 21 (unassisted)      6:34 PPG                1-2

Whoops--let me correct this: *************************************************

Second period:

        UM2, Latendresse 20 (P. Ferraro, Snow) 13:18 PPG              1-2

Third period:

        UM3, Latendresse 21 (unassisted)   6:34                       1-3
        UM4, Montgomery 27  (Imes)        12:55                       1-4
        UM5, Imes 11   (Kariya, Montgomery) 13:51                     1-5
        BU2, Pandolfo 16 (Thornton, Linna)  16:47                     2-5

Saves: Scott Cashman, BU (60:00) 8 - 9  - 7  =  24
       Garth Snow, UM   (60:00)  9 - 8  - 11 =  28

Penalties: BU 13/34 min.
           UM 11/30 min.

Powerplays: BU 1/3
            UM 1/5

Referees: John Gravellese, Frank Cole.
Linesman: John Jones.

Attendance: 9,234.

Quotes (from post-game press conference) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

BU Coach Jack Parker.....

(close game after 2 periods)...I thought it was still close in the 3rd period...
Latendresse's goal was a great one...you get down one or two to Maine you're
allright...it's when they get up three or four that it's tough to come back...
they really get cruising out there."

On Mike Latendresse...."I think he's a great player...he had the key goal
tonight when he beat Scott Cashman up high to his glove side...he's had great
games against us...he's very dangerous, and like all their forwards, he plays
so hard...I was surprised he wasn't on the all-tournament team."

On BU's play...."I thought we did a good job in our zone getting the puck
up the ice...every time we had a good chance, Snow came up big...he's so poised,
he had an unbelieveable season; he stopped us with every chance we had."

On losing Dave Sacco in the first period on penalties..."That's a big loss for
us when you lose your captain, All-American, and leading scorer.  Hurts when
he sits for 14 minutes in first period."

How loss affects team..."It's a tough loss to absorb, we were playing for
Hockey East championship, we wanted to win it...the key was to play a good game
leading into the tournament and we did that...Maine had a great year, they're
a tough team to beat, and they don't give you any second chances."

What it will take to beat Maine...."You have to have great goaltending and get
after it offensively...you have to take advantage of your scoring chances
because you won't get too many...their defensemen play so well...they are
unheralded players...any team would love to have them."

Maine Quotes:

Coach Walsh: "We learned a lot about ourselves tonight and during the weekend.
That is what playing your top rival does for you. BU is a Final Four caliber
team. The championship is nice, but we've got a lot more hockey to go."

"The championship was something that wasn't expected, with the loss of players
like (Jean-Yves) Roy and (Scott) Pellerin. But now we're looking forward to
next week.

On the third period..."We finally started to shoot the puck. We had been
looking for the fancy shots and passes. That comes from watching Kariya too
much. I thought Garth Snow was very solid and we showed some great defensive
tenacity as a team."

Jim Montgomery: "Anytime you win is great. We're like a family, and this
championship is very special. But we've got three games left, and we have to str
start becoming focused on next Saturday's game."

Walsh on Montgomery: "I think Jim Montgomery showed tonight that he is finally
deserving of All-America status. He finally got his due."

Mike Latendresse: (on his second goal, put UM up 3-1) "I just took the shot.
Peter Ferraro made a great pass on the second goal and the third one we
needed. Coach has given me confidence."

Garth Snow: "This is like all our other championships. It's nice to have, but
our season isn't over yet. We have to channel our energy in practice this
week and get ready for next Saturday's game."

Now my quotes...

I think these pretty much tell the whole story. Maine deserved to win this
game and they showed why. It's all to easy to get down a few goals to this
team beacuse they just keep coming at you. Tie up Kariya and all of the
sudden Montgomery or Latendresse or Ingraham chips in, not to mention
a hell of a performance in goal. This team should be playing in the
Patrick Division.

In five games this season against Maine, Dave Sacco has 0-2-2 for BU.
One of the bright spots for the Terriers against Maine has been the play
of Sophomore D Rich Brennan, who has 3-1-4 against the Black Bears, including
pair of goals in last months' 7-6 BU OT win at Orono.

Barring another meeting with the da Bears in the NC$$ tourney, BU goalie
Scott Cashman finishes with a respectable record of 4-6 against Maine
lifetime in 12 appearances. He has allowed 42 goals and made 279 saves
for an .873 save percentage. His GAA is just over 4 goals a game.

Oh, and here's the HOCKEY EAST all-tournament team:

        G Garth Snow, UM
        D Chris Imes, UM
        D Rich Brennan, BU
        F Jim Montgomery, UM
        F Mike Murray, UMass-Lowell
        F Dave Sacco, BU

        MVP: Montgomery.

That's it from here...good luck to everyone in Detroit and Worcester..
I'll be at the games in Worcester so I hope to see you there!

--Sid Whitaker
BU '94  Statistician for BU hockey on WBIV 1060-AM, Natick, Mass.