Sender:
From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 90 16:36:59 CST
During intermission Friday night, one of the radio stations interviewed
the new Denver athletic director. He came from one of the Boston
schools, and is committed to hockey, and turning around the Denver
program. Denver also has a new coach, who seems to be doing a good job
(despite their 2-win record so far). He reports that they are getting
good fan support.

He commented on a couple of things. First, there *IS* going to be a
vote on the proposed NCAA changes for hockey (reduced coaching staff,
games, scholarships). He is doing his part, calling everyone he knows
to try and stop the changes, but as a first-year AD, he doesn't know as
many people at other schools.  He said that others are taking the
leadership on this.

He also mentioned another change, which *ISN'T* going to be voted on --
it is already decided. Apparently, the revenue from the Division-I
hockey tournament is going into a pool with the basketball tournament
money (and I assume money from the other division-I tournaments). This
will then be divided up (according to some formula) amongst DIVISION I
schools ONLY. Denver (and many other division-I hockey schools) doesn't
meet the NCAA's definition of division I (not enough division-I
sports?), so they will won't get any of the money.

Sorry I don't have any of these guys names, or the details, but I
was suppossed to be studying for finals...

	--david

--------
david parter					[log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison		computer sciences department