Sender:
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 90 17:57:33 EST
 Here are a few facts about the Chargers who the Gophers played this last week.
 I have taken the information from the game program and I hope that it is
 correct.

 The growth of the University of Alabama-Huntsville hockey team from club
 status to NCAA Division I has largely been due to the efforts of seasoned
 coach Doug Ross. During the last eight years, he has led the Chargers to a
 202-122-9 record.

 In 1982, Ross took control of the UAH hockey program and set it on an
 ambitious course. In 1985, the Chargers climbed to the NAIA varsity level. By
 the 1986-87 season, the team had moved up to the NCAA Division II level.
 Finally, in 1987, the UAH Charger hockey program began competing at the NCAA
 Division I level.

 Since that time they have tallied a respectable 37-47-5 against Division I
 opponents. With the fine facilities of the Von Braun Civic Center as their
 home ice, the Chargers have established themselves as one of the up-and-coming
 programs in the country.

 The Chargers may seem overmatched in tonight's (Wed 12/12/90) game against the
 Gophers, but UAH is known for putting out an excellent effort and doesn't shy
 away from scheduling top-notch opponents. This season in addition to the U of
 MN, the Cahrgers face teams that include Michigan, Merrimack, Kent State,
 Alaska-Fairbanks, and Alaska-Anchorage.

 The Chargers have on their roster players from: Canada-16, Illinois-3,
 Michigan-3, Massachusetts-1, New York-1, Iowa-1, and Alabama-1.

 Hopefully as this team plays others as scheduled, we will get more reports on
 this abberation in the South!! *:-)
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!