Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1992 16:39:27 EDT
What a topic...it has little to do with hockey...but everything to do with
hockey-l...it's kind of like the networks spicing up the summertime prime
time hours with one of those human-interest tv-movies or something. :-)
See why you shouldn't unsubscribe to h-l in the offseason?

Larry writes:
>  Thanks for the inside scoop, Carol!  I was wondering about that myself from
>  some of the notes that passed through the list.  I suppose Mike will say
>  that he's interested in Heather for her 'hockey' mind!!  8-)

:-)  Actually...a lot of people might be surprised to know that we spend
almost NO time talking about hockey at all.  You can't build something on
hockey alone...although it's nice if you both have an interest in it!

>  For their sake, I hope Heather is not a fan of a certain "MET-ropolitan" New
>  York City baseball team.  Mike was not at all please at the Hockey-L dinner
>  in Albany when I brought up the topic of a certain series that the Red Sox
>  lost to the afore mentioned team a few years ago.  Heather is from New York
>  State, right?  Could be trouble...  ;-)

First, stop promulgating this ugly rumor about some series, I thought I made
it clear this did not happen.

Heather's a fan of the Syracuse Chiefs (minor league; she lives outside of
Syracuse).  Her younger brother is a Yankees fan but she can't help that.  I'm
confident that once she sets foot inside Friendly Fenway she'll be converted
and suffer along with the rest of us.  That and being surrounded by 34,000
people who all talk like me.

>  Congrats, Mike!  Hmmm...  Did you ever imagine that the list you started a
>  few years ago would become a remote dating service?  Gives new meaning to
>  "anonynous ftp".

I'm not even going to ask what the ftp stands for, Larry.

(actually I have no idea...thoughts?)

It really is funny...of course we had no idea this would happen...it did
start actually before the DivIII championship, when I replied to H's post
about Plattsburgh leaving the ECAC West trophy at center ice in protest of
their not being allowed to host the tourney, then she had to go out and get
it after...I also asked how Cam was. :-)  (Neely, of course, no relation -
she thinks.)  What happened after that, she and I can't explain nor do we
want to try.

The most difficult part is explaining to other (non-computer) people how this
started.  It sounds strange.  And I guess it is.  I wouldn't have predicted
it a couple of months ago.  But when people want to know "how'd you meet?",
I always start with, "Well, you won't believe this, but..."

Anyway, it is nice that we had that common interest at first, but it's turned
into a lot more than that.  At the risk of turning this into hockey-l-romance,
I'll say that the mail allowed us to find out more about each other first,
with no worrying about what was going to happen (because how could we know?),
and then that was kind of replaced by voices on the phone.  To clear this up,
yes, we have spent time together, I drove up there for the weekend of the
Plattsburgh hockey banquet.

Oh yes - Heather, knowing that this was going to happen (announcement), asked
me to say hi to everyone she knows and who knows her on here.  If anyone
wants to reach her regarding Plattsburgh or anything else, you can do so
through me.  Meanwhile she'll be trying to get an account of her own, see
how addicting email can be. :-)  Drop by and say hi if you'll be at Fenway on
June 5th, send me email for seat locations.  Thanks for all the kind wishes,
they are really appreciated.  It's nice to know so many people want to say
good things to you when something (unexpected & sweet) like this happens. :-)

Carol pointed out that my signature "- mike (grinning)" in my last message
two days ago shows Heather is rubbing off on me already. :-)

I'd include something about hockey if I could think of something...

- mike