Sender:
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1992 18:07:01 -0400
 Well since David has finished off his Albany diary I guess it's time for me to
 type in the end of my report!

 I was going to meet my incognito Gopher friends to party after the game, when
 Pam and Lisa showed up as I was leaving the section. All folks were welcome so
 we moved along to where my friends were waiting for me after the game. I had
 told a few people that there was a party over at the Hilton in room 610 and I
 had hoped that they would join us. We were pleased with the outcome of the
 game and we congratulated a group of Lakers fans as we were leaving the arena.
 We told them that we had even cheered for them and they didn't quite believe
 us until I showed them my "I cheer for Minnesota and whoever is playing
 Wisconsin" button and then they believed us! ;-) As we were walking to the
 Hilton we were singing the little sieve ditty off and on, but not loudly as we
 did want to live to see the Hilton. ;-) :-) *;-)

 We arrived at the Hilton and made our way through the crowded lobby to a spot
 on a couch way in the back. We ordered some drinks and kicked back. Pam and
 Lisa were introduced around and then we had to explain why Brian has two wives
 and a girlfriend and they were all in Albany! ;-) Brian is legally married to
 Barb. In Detroit in 1987, Brian "married" Patti at the NC$$ tournament, and
 last year in St. Paul, I decided that Brian and I would "go steady" and be
 roommates at the tourney in Albany. ;-) *:-) ;-) It is always fun confusing
 people with this story. ;-) Our drinks finally arrived and then about 45
 minutes later we all adjorned up to 610 for some fun and conversation.

 In room 610 were some of the media folks: Neil Koepke, Dave Wright, Frank
 Mazzocco, Jon Barkan, and many others who's names I can't remember. Most of
 the discussions were focused on the job that McConaghy had done. It was
 meaningful that none of the people present had ANY personal interest in the
 game other than the job of covering the story for their publication. So, even
 to the unbiased-by-team-support eyes this was a big factor!

 We spent some time talking and mercilessly teasing Jon Barkan. It was fun
 listening to all the conversations around us. We decided to head out around
 1:30 I think, and caught a cab back out to Wolf Road. After dumping our stuff
 at the hotel we went over to the bar at the Holiday Inn to find the LSSU party
 animals. It was relatively quiet for a bar in the hotel where all the team and
 the fans from the winning team were staying. There was a replay of the game on
 the TV's and most people were watching and cheering along with the replay! Of
 course, because of Daylight Savings Time, the bar closed an hour early. Bet
 they weren't happy about that! So, at 4:00am we went back to the Red Roof Inn
 and collapsed.

 We had requested a late check-out time so I didn't have to hang around the
 airport for a long time. Pam and Lisa headed out for Ithaca around noon and I
 got some breakfast/lunch nearby and then called a cab around 1:45 to take me to
  the airport.

 My flight from Albany to Newark was delayed due to heavy air traffic in Newark
 and we took off 45 minutes late. The flight was very bumpy and I don't want to
 take a small plane like that again anytime soon. When we landed in Newark, I
 had missed my connecting flight to Mpls by minutes and when I got off the plane
  my lunch was in a different compartment than when I boarded the plane. :-I

 So, I had to change terminals to catch a Northwest flight an hour later and
 phone Erik and Paula who were picking me up at the airport, to say I'd be late.

 It was a great time in Albany and next year I hope will be just as much fun.
 At least we can drive there from here.

 The Hockey-L buttons will be an annual production, so be careful what you say..
 ..it just might appear on the 1993 version! ;-) :-)  *;-)

 End of Albany diary!
 Carol