Sender:
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1992 08:33:03 -0400
 Announced last night on the CBS local news. Klatt agreed to a contract that
 calls for more than $150,000 for each of two years plus an option year, plus a
 $150,000 signing bonus. He could be playing with the North Stars as early as
 tonight, when the North Stars face Detroit at the Met Center.

 Klatt's agent Ron Simon was able to negotiate an unusual guaranteed one-way
 contract for him. The Stars will have to pay Klatt a major league salary if
 they send him down.

 Coach Doug Woog says the loss of Klatt will hurt the Gophers because "he
 scored 30 goals and our other three right wingers scored a total of 45 goals.
 If we featured him like some other teams did, he owuld have scored a lot
 more."

 "The North Stars have been looking for somebody who can score some goals," Woog
 said. "I think Trent has potential. He'll go in there and go at it right away.
 It won't be easy but this may be a good time for him. We are going to miss his
 205 pounds and his leadership. He got an educational clause in his contract
 and we want him to get his degree. He wasn't going to sign unless he got his
 figure, and Ron Simon got it."

 Woog might be able to replace some of Klatt's offense by signing David Larson,
 a big right winger who played for the St. Paul Vulcans and can give the
 Gophers immediate help. His father played for the Gophers.

 All information above taken from the Star Tribune this morning in an article
 written by John Gilbert and from Sid Hartman's column.

 This is a bit depressing coming the day after the banquet. A good friend of
 mine who played on the Gopher Junior Varsity for several years said once that
 he thinks players who sign before their eligibility has expired may regret it,
 because you can only play COLLEGE hockey at one point in your life. You have
 the rest of your career to play elsewhere.

 Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!