Sender:
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 01:04:26 -0500
From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Andy Weise wrote:

> Union defeats Yale tonight by a score of 5-2 in New Haven, as reported
> by WSNN in Potsdam.

I made it to the game tonight, so I will add a bit.

Ingalls Rink is definitely the most whale-shaped building I've ever
seen or been in.  It's a nice place to watch a game.  I was going to
buy a ticket at the ticket window, but they told me only standing room
was left and pointed me to a season-ticket holder outside who was
selling his very good seats, near the top of the stands at the blue
line.

Yale came out strong in the first, working hard and beating Union to
the puck.  They took a 1-0 lead after 6 or 7 minutes.  At one point,
they were outshooting Union something like 9-2, according to the
scoreboard.  Union started to come on in the last few minutes and was
able to tie it up in the final minute on a Joel Beal goal.

Union really won the game in the second.  They took the lead for good
in the first minute and controlled the play for much of the period.
They made it a 3-1 game on a great effort by Seamus Galligan to work
his way past the defense near the end of the second.

Yale got to within 1 in the third on a shorthanded goal following a
bad attempt to break up ice by Union, but it seemed Union was still in
control.  They got the 2-goal margin back on a Jordan Webb goal that
came off a big rebound, if I'm remembering it right.  Webb had another
chance at a wide open net later in the period, but the puck was
deflected up over the net.  Kris Goodjohn added an empty netter in the
final seconds for the 5-2 margin.

Despite their 11th-place standing, Yale appears to have a pretty good
team.  They were making mistakes that cost them some scoring chances
and set up some chances for Union.  Things like passes to no one, or
not seeing the open man for the potential scoring chance.  I can see
how they can come up and beat anyone if they put things together.

Union snapped a 3-game winless streak and kept pace with their
neighbors in the ECAC standings.  Union is 7-7-3 in the ECAC, 12-9-6
overall, heading to Princeton on Saturday.

--
Jim Teresco - [log in to unmask]
http://www.teresco.org