Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 15:48:37 -0700
7bit
From:
Eric and Jennifer Burton <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
. To reduce injuries, one needs to affect
>the incentives people face before they act. SOME of those in this group
>(goalie Lisko and myself), believe that players are better policing
themselves
>rather than having technology or referees or anyone (-thing) else do the
>policing.

    No offense but "the Mask" and the No Fighting rule has got to be the
stupidest thing hockey has ever gone to. Former Flames, North Star and
FIGHTING SIOUX Perry Berzin basically said that the mask was the reason
college hockey was so rough and tumble (Stick work, etc). Look at he NHL and
stick incidents and you will see that the Europeans are way more careless
witht their sticks and lot of it has to do with the lack of fighting and the
wearing of the Itech shield. Like one guy said earlier if you know you are
going to get beat up you are not going to cheap shot some one as bad but
because of the no fighting rule and that  stupid mask  people think they are
invincible. Now with the institigator rule more prevelant experts like Don
Cherry of HNIC blame the stick work on the instigator rule.

    You people that are pro mask will never see it but this information is
out there. In fact a lot of the WCHA coaches were asked about the mask and
they would do away with it. So this is not a new concept or idea. I don't
understand the logic you can be 18, 19, 20 and play in the NHL but you can't
make the decision to wear or not wear a sheild. Ever notice when a player
leaves college hockey how many of them keep wearing the mask, NADA.