Sender:
From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:51:30 -0500
Box

period -1-
G  1:50 U   (0-1) Taylor
P  2:50 U   Anderson  (tripping)
P  4:40 U   Yackel  (unsportsmanlike conduct)
P  4:40 RPI Gardiner (unsportsmanlike conduct)
G 10:43 RPI (1-1) Tapper(Murphy)
P 10:47 U   Smith (hooking)
P 12:58 RPI Cunning (hooking)
P 13:32 RPI Murphy (misconduct)
P 14:08 RPI Riva (slashing)
G 16:14 U   (1-2) Todd(Smith)
P 17:37 RPI Tapper (late hit)
G 18:15 U   (1-3) Bond(Sproat,Smith)  ppg
P 19:19 RPI Caley (holding)
P 19:19 U   Todd (holding)

period -2-
P  1:31 RPI Murray (late hit)
P  1:31 U   Ralph  (late hit)
P  3:45 U   Ralph  (hitting from behind)
G  4:15 RPI (2-3) Riva (Murphy,St. Hillaire) ppg
P  7:23 U   Hutchins (interference)
P 12:43 RPI Pothier (late hit)
P 12:43 U   Campbell (late hit)
G 18:48 U   (2-4) Pietrzykowski(Varady)

period -3-
G  1:06 RPI (3-4) St. Hillaire(Murphy,Munn)
P  2:13 U   Westerman (hooking)
P  5:35 RPI Caley (tripping)
P  8:57 U   Anderson (slashing)
G 15:54 RPI (4-4) Reigstad(Murley,Gardiner)

OT
G  1:53 U   (4-5) Yackel

officials:Campatelli, Cadman, Sullivan

saves        1    2    3    ot     total
Laing(RPI)   7    3    6    0       16
Shtrom(U)    6    9    17   2       34

I don't have many details of the game. I was pretty sick and
had enough trouble keeping stats let alone making notes.

If I were a Union fan, I would have been very worried at the end
of the third. As has happened many times before, Union took
the lead over the Engineers only to have RPI come back to tie
late in the third. This time, however, the OT jinx was broken
as Union scored with 1:53 gone in overtime to take 2 ECAC points
out of Troy.

The story of this game was work,work,work.
In my (oh so unbiased) opinion, RPI outskated and outpassed Union.
But Union clearly wanted the game more than the Engineers.
Union worked harder for possession both along the boards and in the
slot. Union's 1st 2 goals came from scrambles out in front with
the Union forwards just digging and working hard and poking the puck
past Joel Laing. RPI played brillaintly at times, but those times were
scattered few and far between.  Union played steady defense, collapsing
in around Shtrom on numerous occasions. But the shots on goal don't
tell the whole story. The Union defenseman were where they needed to be.
For every shot that got through to Shtrom, 2 were blocked by the
defense minded Dutchman. I lost count of how many would-be shots were
turned harmlessly away the skates and leg pads of the Union defense.

The Dutchmen worked hard for this game and deserved the victory.

A question arose during the 3rd period that no-one around us could answer.

Mid-way through the 3rd period, an RPI player broke in on Shtrom. Shtrom
flopped down and, although he never touched the puck, forced the shot wide
missing the post by inches. The puck rolled slowly to the corner and
Shtrom was flat on the ice with the RPI skater quickly chasing down
the rolling puck. Just then, a retreating Union defenseman fell
to the ice in the slot, slid past Shtrom and into the net, dislodging it
causing a stoppage in play. There were no other RPI players around so he
couldn't have been taken down nor could he have been checked into the net.
But, from where I sit, (and I had a very clear view), it seemed as if the
Union skater just lost an edge and went down. Either that or he was a REAL
good actor. The fans started yelling for a delay of game call. They didn't
get one. What's the rule on that? Did that constitute delay of game or does
delay of game require the referee to conclude that delay was the intent of
the player causing the delay? Inquiring minds want to know!!!