Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 23:54:44 -0400
[log in to unmask] writes:

> << However, games played against Nebraska-Omaha will not count in the RPI
> because schools must have completed two seasons of Division I play.... >>
>
> So, can this be taken to mean that teams new to D-I have to wait two
>years for
> NCAA tournament play? If that interpretation holds, it would put a timetable
> on when the MAAC teams become eligible, and possibly tournament expansion.

Well, for the most part this is true.  You have to go through two years of
provisional status in the new division.  It's not so much "Division I play"
as it is your program being accorded D1 status by the NCAA (and following
the appropriate rules), although one could consider that to be the same as
"Division I play".  You could be considered D1 but play primarily D2-3
teams (as schools like Canisius and UConn have done for years).

As far as the MAAC goes, this season 6 of the 8 teams are D1.  Two, AIC and
Sacred Heart, will be D1 next season.  And next season, two more, Bentley
and Mercyhurst, will (I believe) be in their second year of provisional
status and not be full fledged D1 until 2000-2001.

This will not necessarily prevent the MAAC from being awarded an automatic
bid or two to the D1 tourney in 1999-2000, but I think it probably will not
happen until at least the following season.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****