Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 19:31:33 -0400
Jim Love writes:
>   I'd agree that the Committee made a good call, but I'll believe it when I
> see it re: reporting of records/statistics.  Maine was ranked #8 in the USCHO
> Pre-season Poll at 0-0-0, and opens play this weekend with two games at UNO.
> USCHO should (and probably will) report their record as 0-0-0 next week no
> matter what happens in Omaha ...

The Maine-UNO games will be listed in the overall record for both teams.
Don't get confused by the mention that the games will not count in the RPI.
That's all that means.

There are a few things that happened in the offseason to clarify the status
of certain games.  One is that the NCAA decreed that games like the Hall of
Fame Game and the Ice Breaker tournament, which are between D1 teams, will
be considered the same as any other regular season game and not
exhibitions.  This is now stated ahead of time and not left open to
guessing any more.  We pretty much knew this was going to happen after all
the confusion last season.

The other is that the conference SIDs all got together and agreed not to
include the results or stats from games vs Canadian teams in their
record/stats.  So all games vs Canadian teams will be listed as exhibitions.

NCAA individual and team stats have generally included all games against
NCAA teams.  So I would expect the stats from these games to be included as
well unless something has changed in that area.

The schedules at USCHO basically reflect the status of the games except
that there is no longer a distinction made for games not counting in the
selection process.  That really isn't needed since any software written to
do rankings should be written to "know" which games are to be included and
which ones are not -- simply use an input list of eligible teams and only
include games between those teams.

Also, remember that we're talking about two different record keeping
organizations here.  The NCAA statistics bureau (basically NCAA employees)
decides which games will be included in the teams' records and statistics.
And the NCAA selection committee (basically coaches/ADs) decides which
games it will include in its selection process.  When you think of it that
way, it is easier to see how a game like Maine-UNO can be included in one
but not the other.

It also seems that saying a game "counts" means different things to
different people, so it's probably best to be more specific.  Maine-UNO
"counts" in the teams' overall records and stats, but does not "count" in
the selection process.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****