Sender:
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:31:29 -0600
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Tuschen, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Tuschen, Terry wrote:

> UW coach Jeff Sauer addressed this issue a while back on his radio
> show..  Confirmed that there are already "preliminary",  I think he said
> very preliminary talks between the Big(11)Ten and Notre Dame for joining
> the Big Ten conference.  This move is more of a basketball and other
> sports move, but hockey would be affected.
>
> If this were to occur, would the conference be activated for hockey?

As I understand it now, if a sport has 6 or more teams involved in it at
the D-I level, then they have to compete as the Big 10.  Obviously ND
would put it at 6, but would they change the requirement if there were 12
teams in the league and not 11?  Was the goal of the requirement over
half the teams participating, or just 6?

Also, who knows if Penn State is ever going to move their program to D-I,
and doesn't Illinois have a club team, too?  Maybe if ND joined the
league, (personally, I hope they don't) and there was a Big 10 conference
for hockey, the schools with club teams would consider moving to D-I.

Can anyone help me with this:

School                 Hockey Program
Minnesota              D-I
Wisconsin              D-I