Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:18:59 -0600
On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Ralph N. Baer wrote:
> "Greg R. Berge" <[log in to unmask]> wrote in part:
>
> >2.  With several additional teams being added to the Div I total, is there
> >still a movement towards a 16 team tourny?  A 14 team tourny?  Is there
> >actually a specific ratio the NC$$ looks at when computing number of
> >contenders and number of slots?

> Holy Cross, and Iona.  AIC being Div-II and Quinippiac moving to Div-I
> in all sports are not currently counted.  As expected, I have managed to
> forget one school.

The school you have forgotten* is a D-II school, so the D-I population
will increase by three (assuming no other schools drop hockey).

Is it written down somewhere exactly what schools are counted, in
determining the ratio? (I do remember a ratio being mentioned some time
ago) Is it the total number of D-I schools, or are only teams eligible
for the Tournament counted (excluding the MAAC schools, Niagara & UNO)?

If the tournament does stay at 12 teams, it may cause some re-evaluation
of the rules currently in place. The rules right now (the 2-berth
minimum, the automatic bye for winning both titles in particular) assume
some level of equality between the conferences, and assume only four
conferences.

At the start, at least, I doubt the MAAC will be at the same level of
play as the other conferences. The Committee is going to have to decide
whether to treat the MAAC on the same level as the four established
conferences or not.

If they do, then what happens (assuming a 12-team tournament, still) if
Quinnipiac, Clarkson and BU (for example) all win both regular season and
playoff titles?

*-I think it's Sacred Heart, but I'm not 100% sure. Only recently did I
get it out of my head that Mercyhurst isn't moving up.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (ON) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
                         Behold the power of cheese.