Sender:
From:
Nathan Eric Hampton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:51:09 +0000
I've been avoiding doing this because it hurts, but here are my picks
for the WCHA tournament which starts Thursday with the stupid #4 vs #5
game (with the fortunate winner gets to play the next day at 2:30 pm).

#5 Duluth over #4 St. Cloud State
Only big game of the tournament, because the winner makes the NCAA final
12 and the loser doesn't.
Goalie: Nicklin and Leitza are both so good it is even. A Leitza miracle
is needed and I'll be thrilled if it happens, but......
Forwards: Duluth has size and scoring ability, SCSU does not.
Defense: The pivotal question mark because it depends on which SCSU
defense shows up. This inconsistency will give the game to Duluth.

#1 North Dakota over #5 Duluth
Goaltending, forwards, defense: North Dakota
Rest, energy, schedule: North Dakota

#3 Colorado College over #2 Wisconsin
Goaltending: Wisconsin, aka Goaltender U.
Forwards: Colorado College has not only the better scorer (Swanson) but
the greater depth.
Defense: Again, Swanson's scoring ability will make the difference in a
very close game. Highest probability for OT.
Also: UW is the most penalized team in the WCHA (CC second lowest) and
CC has the best power play (21.4%) in the league (UW second best).
Herein could lie the difference.

That leaves for Saturday:
North Dakota repeating as Tournament Champs in the building inwhich they
won the National Championship last year.
Wisconsin thumping an exhasted (sixth game in eight days) Duluth in the
third place game.

If St. Cloud pulls off the upset on Thursday, then following a loss to
North Dakota on Thursday, they should beat Wisconsin for third place.
Why? Because I like them.

Nathan Eric Hampton