Sender:
From:
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:54:28 -0600
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Charlie Shub wrote:

> > Kevin Ames wrote:
> >
> > "The split against the Sioux kept
> > > Minnesota in a tie for first place in the WCHA
> > > standings."
>
> the wcha and uscho apparently have decided to count total wcha points
> only in determining standings.  This is correct if every team has
> played the same quantity of wcha games, but is probably biased against
> teams that have played fewer games.

Well, it creates imbalances, but it doesn't really bias against anyone,
it's just the facts, if anything I would say you are in a better position
if you have played less games and are still in first place.

> Baseball solves this problem with the notion of half-games behind
> I've suggested a points per game stat in the past

I thought the PPG stat would be useful until January 1st, when the games
usually even out, however now with the 9 team league, we're never going to
have equal games played until the season is over.

Anyway, I think we need to just keep our eyes open and realize when there
is a difference in games and think about the standings when we look at
them.

Tony