Sender:
From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 13:48:47 -0500
Comments:
>>> Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]> 11/26/96 12:39pm >>>
>>> I think this is more sad than funny.  Casual profanity like this ruins the
>>> experience for many potential fans, not just at Yost but elsewhere
>>> too.  I'm sorry that Joe's niece won't grow up attending and enjoying
>>> college hockey.

Ditto, Erik! This is indeed sad. I can only shake my head and wonder
why. However, this is no way confined to college hockey. Try watching
a baseball game in Fenway Park when the Yankees are in town.  Its sad
because people get together and laugh about these incidents without
ever thinking about the repercutions.  Its like the kids don't belong there or
something. *shrug* Even the Jesuits at B.C. don't have enough influence
to keep this from happening in their own rink. Why I expect better from
them, I'm not sure ... kids are kids wherever they go to school.

There are plenty of chants that can be quite humurous without profanity
... problem is, it takes some creativity and game knowledge to come up
with them ... and most of these crowd leaders aren't up to that task. The
best chants I feel are the ones that are just game specific or month
specific. Recently at a Lowell game ... someone yelled this to the referee
.... " Debenedetto, there's a bus leaving for ref school in twenty minutes!"
a few minutes later   " ... in fifteen minutes!" and then finally a few
minutes after that  " .... in ten minutes!  Be UNDER it!!!".

Of course, "suck" is becoming less and less profane by most standards
... maybe because of all the chanting at sporting events. It still has a
strong profane tinge to a lot of ears though ... and especially on the lips
of young children.

Here's hoping it falls by the wayside somehow.