Sender:
From:
"ERIC E. SCHMAUTZ" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 17:16:49 -0600
Comments:
Thank you for looking at this message.

A group of us at the University of Denver are doing a class project on the
predictor variables of a championship D-I team.  Initially we were just
going to include WCHA teams (hence predicting WCHA Championship/regular
season champion), but we may include all D-I teams (NCAA title) to get a
better group of data.

PROCEDURE:

We plan to run a LOGIT regression using winning year as a dumby dependent
variables with some combination of independent variables.

IDENTIFYING DATA:

The data needs to be comparable across the number of years and the teams
that we use in the data.

POSSIBLE INDEPENDENT VARIABLES:

Preseason coaches poll ranking
Number of seniors lost
Number of players returning
Dollars spent on program by member institution
Total dollars of previous years sponsorships
Number of league (or NCAA) championships
Number of years in the league
Number of years of coaches D-I experience
Number of injury days

HELP:

1.  The possible variables are not what will be included in the model.
They are just thoughts of what may be included.  We would like to know
if anyone feels that we have missed a reasonable variable that would
strengthen the model.

2.  We do not know if all the above information will be available,
especially if we go back to the 1974-75 season.  To get a consistent set
of data, we may only be able to use 1984-85 through 1995-96 data.  We
would like to know where we could find some of the above information.
Especially info like sponsorship dollars and dollars spent on the program.

Thanks again for reading this message.  If you could help us in one of
the above areas, please e-mail me <[log in to unmask]> or
<[log in to unmask]>.  Unless you mention otherwise, just the
information included in the e-mail will be shared with the class and not
your name or address.  Thank you in advance for those who write back with
ideas or suggestions.

-Eric