Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 19:17:21 -0400
At 8:14 AM -0500 6/12/96, John-Andrew Murphy wrote:
>Has Notre Dame faced off against many non-Conference teams?

It looks like they have played about 35 of the current DivI conference
teams at one time or another in their history.

>Years ago, before
>the university deemphasized the game and Poulin was a student, they were in
>the ECAC so I'm assuming they played these teams. (At least according to the
>hockey team's Hall Of Fame wall, they were in the ECAC.)

Interesting...the ND media guide doesn't have any record of them being in
the ECAC.  They were, however, in the WCHA and CCHA.

>The Irish did play
>BC this year, and I think they have another East Coast team on the schedule
>this season.

They will be at BC this year for one game but I believe they won't play any
other HE teams that weekend.  Not sure about possible ECAC matchups.

>Curious note: ND played Plattsburgh State and U-Michigan Dearborn a few years
>ago. Plattsburg demolished the Irish just before ND jumped into the CCHA.

Well, this series was actually back in 85-86 when ND was still coming out
of their club stage.  ND didn't join the CCHA until 1992-93.  I'd venture
to say that there was a world of difference between the virtual club team
that lost to Plattsburgh (10-7 and 15-7) and the team that entered the CCHA.

>It's no wonder they've been struggling. They've been fielding a DIII team,
>more or less, for the past few years! Coming from a DIII school I can honestly
>say Fredonia would have whupped 'em, too, and Middlebury would have simply
>creamed 'em.

ND has been a lower echelon CCHA team the last few years, but even in
matchups between the bottom DivI teams and the top DivIII teams, the DivI
teams have tended to win.  It's possible that those good Fredonia or
Middlebury teams would have won a close game, but I can't see either of
these teams blowing them out.  There is just too much of a difference
between DivI and DivIII.

Mike Machnik                   [log in to unmask]            *HMM* 11/13/93