Sender:
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:46:03 EST
First, the article from last THursday's USA Today is available
on the USAT website: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sthurs5.htm
Thanks to Sean P for that info.

In today's Portland Press Herald, Pat Borzi, the Boston Beat
writer, has a story about Travis which states that Trav is
expected to be released from the hospital on April 11, six
days before he turns 21, and 16 days before his sister's
wedding.
Lee is quoted: "That's the target date, that's not fixed in
stone, obviously."
Last Friday he went out to eat for the first time with a group
from the Center, and his family.  His mother, Brenda, said,
"It was awkward...realizing what handicapped people have to
go through.  He couldn't get withing three or four feet
of the table.  One of us had to stand up to feed him.
He felt miserable.  It wasn't what he felt it was going to
be, or what we felt it was going to be.  We asked the
waitress to put us someplace else, and it worked
out great.  By the end of the evening, he felt better."
Travis and Lee went out again Tuesday night.
"Trav wheeled right up and said 'Table for two'" Lee said.
"He had a virgin daiquiri, calamari, lasgana, chicken
parmigiana, and he ate like a horse."
That's a problem however.  Travis is now up to 149 pounds,
and can no longer execise the way he used to.

Travis is now planning out what he'll say at his first
press conference, scheduled for March 10.  Maija Langeland,
his girlfriend, will be on spring break, so she'll be able
to be with him during the conference.
The story also discloses some bureaucratic problems the
family is having back home.  They live in an old farmhouse, circa
1840, which already doesn't meet zoning codes.  The planned
changes (an apartment for Travis where a barn now stands)
also will not meet regulations.  However, the town Planning
Board and Town Council have already set in motion (before
Travis' injury) new regulations which would make structures
like the one planned for Travis acceptable.

****  Quoted material from Pat Borzi's article in       ****
****  February 29 edition of the Portland Press Herald  ****

Travis was on our minds last night in Lewiston, where the
semi final round of the state Class A tournament was held.
NYA art students hung a  "Travis Roy  #00" banner above the
stands (Travis wore 00 at NYA, #44 at Yarmouth) and the
"Pray for Travis" banner (which was photographed in SI)
hung from the press box.
Unfortunately, NYA's season, which had been dedicated to
Trav, ended after Waterville rallied from a 3-0 deficit
to win 4-3.  Waterville will play Lewiston, which stunned
St. Dominic's 7-4, at 2pm Saturday in Lewiston.
I'll be putting details on my web page this afternoon.

John Forsyth