Sender:
From:
"David B. Erickson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:28:51 -0500
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, just what is *The Noise Rule* that
Richard Vehlow was referring to in his posting?  Certainly not cheering,
whistling, clapping, bands and drums, etc?  That is positive fan
reinforcement for the team, IMHO.  On the other hand, I'm more than a little
tired of chants of *Bullshit*, *(Ref's Name) Sucks* and other niceties all
too common in arenas all around the country.  One of last year's Points of
Emphasis for officials and programs was a general cleanup of such
profanity/vulgarity, the occasion of which was supposed to lead to *removal
from the site and, if needed, additional supplementary action*, by which one
might infer that minor penalties *could* be assessed to the offending fans'
team.  Never saw it happen, though, and even at Hahvahd your ears may be
assaulted with verbal garbage of that ilk.  Doesn't say much for the
intellectual level of our students, does it?

Must mention one chant last year, which while not in the best of taste was at
least imaginative and amusing: fans got *on* one of the goalies with
*So-and-So's a Virgin!* -- intended, no doubt, to impugn his masculinity.  As
is so often the case, I doubt he heard it, or could understand it, in all the
din.  Made me smile, though.

Dave Erickson
The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter