Sender:
From:
robert earl walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 1995 15:00:55 -0400
I don't think we can worry too much about pep bands being phased out.
For example, I believe it was during the CCHA Semis last year between UM
and LSSU that the PA at the Joe kept playing putrid, overplayed rock
during the intermissions and I noticed a loud chorus of moans and booing
that they wouldn't let our bands play.  It wasn't until about five
minutes left in the break that they stopped.  When we did get to play I
can tell the fans enjoyed the live stuff a lot more.

The crowd really show their appreciation for the bands; I still
get goosebumps remembering the cheers I got when I played a solo at the
Palace last year.  It was also during that Lake State game after we
scored the tying goal with 0.4 seconds left in regulation (*grin*) that
the UM fans postponed their celebration to look up toward the band so we
could cue the goal count.

I'm pretty sure that for every pep band there is a distinct
personality and a set of very special traditions that just cannot be
replaced with Green Day or even "Rock and Roll Part II" (flame away, I
dare ya =)).  I suggest to the Lake State band and anyone else that has
this problem to petition the athletic department to cut down on the
piped-in junk and let the band earn their free seats.

'Kay Bye,
Rob Walker
Michigan Hockey Band 93-present