Sender:
From:
Adam Crane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 14:59:15 -0500
I have to chime in with my own impressions of the fabulous game on Thur.,
having watched it from section 208, row B where I will be on Saturday.
Having no real affiliations with either school but a deep love for the
game I can honestly say that that was the best hockey game I've ever seen.
The intensity and sportsmanship displayed by both teams only made me fall
in love with the sport again.  It was a hard fought, entertaining and
downright awesome game.  It was phenomenal, fantastic and (fill in your
own adjective.)  I'm sure both Maine and Michigan diehards would admit
what a great game it was no matter what the outcome was. It was pure and
simple, great hockey.  All of which makes me even more livid about ESPN's
handling of the whole game.  The fact that they couldn't keep the live
feed on what was turning out to be one of the greatest games ever just
proves that ESPN is run by a couple of second rate-high school drop
out-video hacks (with all apologies to high school drop outs and video
hacks out there.)  It is that sort of apathy towards hockey, especially
college hockey which makes it difficult for it to grow.  It is not that
college hockey is unpopular because it isn't.  It's the sports media
(ESPN) not covering the events which makes it difficult to follow casually
and therefore decreases the audience.  It is a tautological arguement
which falls squarely onto the lap (or t.v.) of ESPN; college hockey is not
covered because it's not popular, which is why its not covered, because
it's not popular, because it's not covered....  If ESPN and other sports
media would cover college hockey with quality (is that possible from ESPN?)
and consistent air-time, then we'd all be happier.  I'm thrilled I
witnessed the UMaine-Michigan game, and for those of you who missed the
live feed at least you got to see all the replays about a zillion times.
I'll be there Sat. and I'm planning a trip to Cinncy next year.  I love
hockey and I hope someday crap like ESPN will be gone and everyone can
enjoy the best team sport there is!!!

p.s.  Hey, when did the rule about not calling penalties in overtime go
into effect?  Did those refs blow a few calls or what?

HAVE FUN EVERYONE AND ENJOY THE GAME SAT., MEET ME AT MURPHY'S POST GAME
FOR A BEER!!!!

Sincerely,
Adam J. Crane ([log in to unmask])