Sender:
From:
"Dr. Pamela J. Sweeney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 19:07:56 EST
From the Minnesota Daily today:

Headline: Godbout's condition improvin
Publish Date: 03/27/1995

Matthew Cross

Staff Reporter

Gophers rookie defenseman Jason Godbout was taken to the University
of Wisconsin Hospital in Madison on Friday afternoon and was
diagnosed with a minor blood clot in the left side of his brain.

Godbout underwent a magnetic resonance scan that concluded he had a
minor stroke, but after he was treated, Godbout's condition was
listed as very good.

``We are fortunate we took him to the hospital when we did,'' said
Gophers trainer Bob Broxterman, who credited UW Hospital physician
Greg Landry with a quick and effective diagnosis.

Godbout experienced severely slurred speech, vomiting and partial
paralysis in his facial muscles during the team's regular pregame
lunch before Friday's game against RPI.

Godbout never lost consciousness, but he appeared to be confused
about not being able to talk normally.

``He's able to understand what you're saying to him, and he knows
what he wants to say, but it just doesn't always come out right,''
Ken Godbout, Jason's father, said.

Godbout repeatedly left the room where the Gophers were eating and
told Broxterman he wasn't feeling well.

It is suspected that a blood clot from a thigh bruise injury he had
earlier this season moved through a hole between the right and left
atriums in his heart and up to his brain -- missing the body's
filtering system.

Godbout will remain in the hospital for five to seven days and, as a
prerequisite to playing hockey again, Godbout must have surgery to
repair the hole in his heart.

Junior winger Dave Larson said the Gophers had Godbout on their minds
during their 5-2 victory over Colorado College.

``We knew Jason was in the hospital, and we just wanted to win it for
him,'' Larson said. ``It was in the back of our minds, and we have
our prayers for him.''