Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 13:25:11 -0500
I had been joking with people that USA Hockey and Karen Kay would pick
the same team that played WWC 94 for PR 95.  Now I see from information via
the W-i-h group that my dark humor has come true!

Somebody needs to cover me with a blanket.  I thought last year that it
was a nice idea to give the "old guard" one more chance at winning a gold
medal at the World Championships.  But what gives this year.  WWC 97 in
Kitchener and Nagano 98 are not far off.  The younger players need the
international experience.  The only change from 94 is cutting back to 5
defenders (minus DiFonso), a bad idea since you need 6 defenders at this
level, and adding an extra forward: AJ Mleczko!  Excuse me?!!!  OK AJM
has wonderful kill instinct, but how is she going to do anything against
a skating Team Canada?  Where are: King, Johansson, Issel, Reece,
Cheatham, Woog, Solari, Gorton, Devens ...?

You look at what Team Canada Women are doing for the Pacific Rim, and it
is extremely well thought out.  They go with 5-6 young players from the
previous WWC and try a bunch of new players.  What a smart idea.  They
did the same thing back in 93.  They get to see the new talent at
international level and so find out who can really play.  USA Hockey
seems determined to just win something.  What a pathetic joke.  How is TUSAW
going to be ready for WWC 97 and Nagano 98 if they don't start putting
the team together now.  Or is it possible that my sick joke is correct: that
they are going to just play the same players again and again until somehow they
get it right?

I can't believe this.  I don't want to do away with everyone on the 94
TUSAW, but I think its an intelligent idea to bring in some younger
players.  And to be honest, yes many players who are in the ECAC right
now, or who have recently graduated, but are not on the team deserve a
chance.  They also need the experience.

I don't want to go to Kitchener and only have TCW and TFW to pull for.
USA Hockey needs to get its act together.  They are tossing away the future.

1995 United States Women's National Team
Goalies:
        Kelly Dyer (NU)
        Erin Whitten (UNH)
Defense: