Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 14:28:35 -0500
>-Due to referee incompetence AGAIN (Kelly & Murphy) SLU was forced to
>  play a game that was MUCH close than it actually was.  There were 3
>  SLU GOALS taken away because incompetent refs "didn't see the puck"
>  in front of the net bouncing around.  There were MANY other examples
>  I hate to be a whiner, but someone has to.  It is getting out of hand
>  good teams are losing due to ECAC Referee's getting their orange bands
>  from "Cracker Jack" boxes.  "When is someone going to do something
>  about this?"

I actually managed to get to this game, my first NC$$ game of the year.
Since I didn't get to Appleton until about 10 minutes in, I think I must
have missed the first SLU disallowed goal. But the second disallowed goal
looked pretty good to me. There was fairly clearly (at least from my
view) an SLU player in Darthmouth's crease. The third SLU disallowal looked
weak, but I didn't have a very good view of whether the goalie had it or
not.

To be honest, I thought the reffing wasn't too bad. (Of course, I'm used
to incompetent Jr. A refs....) Kelly and Murphy let the teams play the game,
for the most part. The hooking call on Creurer late in the game was weak,
IMHO and totally inconsistent with what had been let go before. But other
than that, the refs did a fairly good job.

While I'm thinking of penalties. Dartmouth's power play was positively
anemic. They had a great deal of trouble getting set up in the SLU zone,
and when they got set up the puck promptly was cleared. I doubt SLU's
penalty-killing is that good normally.

>-On a more positive note.  SLU did manage to win through persistance

And despite dreadful goaltending. Darthmouth's third goal was just awful.
It should have been saved by a goalie every time. It went off Bracco's
shoulder and in. He also looked out to lunch on Dartmouth's fourth goal.

I thought the game was farily sloppy. Both teams seemed quite adept at making
wonderful passes to their opponents. :-)

I was planning on keeping a box score, but that was before my fun at the
Ogdensburg, NY crossing. :-)

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (24-23-3 54pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,