Sender:
From:
Paulette Dwen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:13:03 -0500
>MR ADAM C WODON said....
>
>>McCutcheon may have done a good job getting in Elliot and Smart, but as I
>>mentioned, that's not enough.  You need to bring in about 6 guys per year.
>
>What good would six players do?  They only lost two guys last year and
>already have about three guys who don't dress for road trips.  I think
>three was the perfect amount and he pretty much hit the jackpot with Smart
>(or so it seems for now).

Two reasons.  One, injuries.  If you only recruit as many as you lose and
someone has a longterm injury (a la Vinnie Auger) you're short a player.
Two, improvement of the team.  Had six Ryan Smarts come to Cornell last
year, they would have all found spots on the team, inferior players would
have seen limited or no playing time, and the team overall would have
improved.

Paulette Dwen
Cornell '89
Let's Go Red!