Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 1995 22:04:29 -0400
Michael Burger posted a comment about a lawsuit filed by the IHL's
Michel Mongeau against Chris Tamer for a hit thrown during a game
in January. Burger wondered who a college player in a similar
situation would sue, noting "the player? Won't get a dime." That
may depend on the hitter - Harvard's Jason Karmanos or Tripp Tracy (hey,
Ron Hextall did it, why not Tripp?), for example, have some pretty
deep pockets, I assure you. I suspect there are some others out there
who could make it worthwhile. Plus, a favorable court judgment for the
hittee doesn't mean the hitter only pays now - the hittee could keep
collecting until it's finally paid off. So a future pro prospect might
be a good defendant, as well. Or, if the hittee is a minor, the parents
would be liable. How about the NCAA as a defendent? I'm not sure that the
school would be anymore responsible than the NCAA for the conduct of a
player during the course of the game. Sounds like a case for Lionel
Hutz, the pride of the Springfield bar ...

Geoff Howell
The Trenton Times
Dropt the Puck