Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 22:18:15 -0500
Overall a very good weekend for the University of Maine hockey team.  I as a
fan was very concerned coming into the weekend with the team, after their
loss to UMA, but they played very well, and may be playing some of their
best hockey of the year, at the right time.  The loss seems to have focused
the team, but time will tell if that is true.  An important weekend is
coming up, with UMA and Merrimack coming into the Alfond.  Those are ten
points that UMaine should get, and need.  I don't suspect a problem for
Maine "getting up" for UMA this time around, but Merrimack as always
concerns me.  They are capable of beating any team in this league on a given
night, so they make me afraid.

Maine outscored their opponents 13-3 on the weekend.  Some of Maine's top
performers were Jeff Tory, who should be a canadate for Rookie (if not
Player) of the week.  Jeff had 5 points on the weekend (1-4--5).  Players
also knotching multiple point weekends were Brad Purdie (2-1--3), Barry
Clukey (2-2--4), Dan Shermerhorn (0-3--3), Chris Imes (1-2--3), Trevor
Roenick (1-1--2), and Jacque Rodrigue (1-1--2).  Again Maine played deep.
Eleven different players scored goals, and eleven different players had
assists.  All Maine did really was go back to what has worked all year.  A
ballanced attack, in which the defense creates offense.  Every team will get
their chances, Maine just tries to limit those oportunites, and exploit
mistakes made by their opponents.

Maine's penalty kill was excellent on the weekend.  Maine did take a few
more penalities than would be desired, but killed off 15 of 17 opponent
power-plays (88%), and were 5-17 on their own advantages (29%), but 4-11
Saturday night against Lowell (36%).

Wayne Conlan who missed 18 games with a knee injury returned to the lineup
this weekend.  Wayne wasn't at 100%, but played well, and almost had a goal.
 The other Maine player who is still out with an injury, Shawn Wansborough
began skating, and I'd imagine will return at the end of the month, after
Maine has a week break.

Maine Stats to follow..

Deron  Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
The University of Maine (24-2-6)  GO BLUE!!