Sender:
From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jan 1995 09:50:13 EST
--- Ken Miller wrote:
    The video very clearly shows a shot redirected right between the
knees of the Dartmouth goalie, THEN Traggio slaps at the goalie's pads,
and THEN (after he poked at it) the whistle.  Where is the puck at the
exact moment that the whistle was blown?  Well, the only camera angle that
SportsChannel had was aimed at the goalie's face, his body would have
blocked a view of a puck directly behind him in the net.  However, what's
the ref doing as he blows the whistle?  Pointing at the back of the net
to indicate a goal. THEN, by the by, the goal light comes on.

    It was the opinion of the SC announcers, who ran the tape several
times and even blew up the mag a bit, that the puck never stopped,
that the goalie had never made a save, and that the ref blew the whistle
when he saw the puck cross the line, not to indicate that the puck had been
tied up.
--- end of quoted material ---
Hi Ken-

Sorry to disagree with you but...  The whistle clearly blew BEFORE the puck
came out from between Baker's legs. I sit at that end of the rink and saw (and
heard) exactly what happend. A shot was taken, Baker APPARENTLY made the save,
the whistle blew, and then the puck trickled through Baker's legs into the
goal.

I agree that the whistle was blow too soon, but nonetheless it blew BEFORE the
goal. My tape from Sportschannel seems to indicate the scenario I mantioned
above.

As for the bench minor, I do not disagree that a penalty should have been
called on Dartmouth (although who can blame the players on the bench from
putting their hands up in self-defense), but there clearly should have been one
on the Brown player as well for swinging the stick.

I agree with you that other than a few minutes of total collapse spotting Brown
3 goals, the two teams were pretty even.

Bob Gross