Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 09:24:05 -0700
On Sun, 11 Dec 1994, Brian Gentry wrote:

> You're right, you obviously don't read the Boston Globe!  I remember at the
> start of the season the Globe had a front page (rare for coll. hockey)
> article about BC hockey with a color photo.  The article continued later
> on in the Sports section.  There was a small article later in the section
> about BU hockey (the NC$$ runner-ups!!) which later summarized the rest of
> Hockey East.  BU gets at best (except at NC$$ tourney time) equal coverage
> as BC in college hockey.  In other sports, BU is barely noticable as compared
> to BC.
>
> Brian Gentry  BU'95
> GO TERRIERS!!

The situation Brian describes has been in existence since at least 1970,
when I arrived in time to see two consecutive BU national championships,
and of course one a bit later.  Even though
BU was a dominant team BC got far more press until NC$$ time.  BU, of
course, cannot compare with BC in basketball or football, but within the
scope of the college hockey coverage alone there is a clear BC bias, not
only in the Globe, but the Herald also.  For the sake of balance, in the
years of Harvard's great teams they also did not get the press BC did.
It is not a bias against the other schools on the Globe's part.  Actually
the Boston media both print and broadcast seems to revolve around BC.

Arthur Berman  [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!!