Sender:
From:
Andrew Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 23:04:34 -0500
RPI made a statement Friday night by thrashing Clarkson, 7-1. It wasn't
even that close.

A few points I have to make:
1 -- Clarkson's defense/goaltending
     Virtually nonexistent would about sum it up. The Golden Knights were
     awfully sluggish. The defense didn't perform as they should have and
     RPI did the right thing and took advantage of it. Dan Murphy started
     in the net, but after goal #5 a few minutes into the second period,
     Mark Morris pulled him, for about 45 seconds. Apparently, Morris' little
     chat did the freshman Murphy some good, as he straightened himself
     out and played more solid for the rest of the game.

2 -- Mike Tamburro
     The final score could have easily been 7-5. Clarkson's offense woke
     up midway through the second period, but Tamburro stoned them, making
     several sprawling, reaching, saves, along with a few flashy glove saves.
     He not only survived the test of the (not-so) Golden Knights, he passed
     with flying colors.

3 -- Penalties
     I don't know how many there were, but they were abundant. There were
     several different coincidentals, a few 5-on-3s for both teams, a few
     4-on-3s, etc. The night was topped off with a couple of 10 minute
     misconducts.

However, the story of the game was Clarkson's (lack of) defense. RPI really
didn't dominate, but the defense of Clarkson let them walk in on Murphy, who
didn't show up soon enough. You can also make a case for Mike Tamburro.
Certainly one of the better goalie performances I've seen when a team needed
one. I think when a goalie gets an assist, he's had a pretty good night!

Like I said, RPI made their statement. They may have lost a lot to graduation,
but they won't give up on their chances yet. Clarkson will be back. I still
think the preseason coaches poll is accurate. Clarkson is a notorious slow-
starter, but also a big finisher. Both teams must realize that it's only
November. Wait until March to decide anything

I'll put up the box tomorrow.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam '93          Let's Go Tech!!
Union College '95?        Let's Go U!!