Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 12:11:00 -0400
> New WCHA commissioner Bruce McLeod said he has been contacted by ESPN
> about the possibility that some WCHA games might be televised by the
> national cable network to fill spots intended for NHL games.

Chuck writes -
> This could be the break we've been looking for.  I want the NHL to jump
> on its opportunity for exposure w/out the World Series.  But, getting
> college hockey onto National TV would be even better .... All of this
>talk about petitioning ESPN to put on college hockey is great.

  My entry in the "For What It's Worth" department ....

  I called the toll-free number at Sports Illustrated this morning to renew
my subscription, and after arranging for my renewal I was asked by the SI
spokesperson if I would like to participate in a brief "reader survey."
"Sure," says I, "fire away ...."  The first question asked was: "What's
your favorite sport to watch on TV ??" "College hockey," I reply, to which
the SI guy says, after a pause, "that isn't one of the choices on my list."
(at least now we know why SI totally ignores collegiate hockey except for
their token one-page coverage of the NC$$ Championship Game each April).
"In fact," he continues, "I didn't think anyone even *televised* college
hockey ...." "Well, surely you have an 'other' category, don't you, ??" I
replied, now determined to be among the 0.001% of their survey respondents
voting for collegiate ice hockey as their favorite TV spectator sport.
"OK, I can do that," he says, then quickly follows-up with "and what's
your favorite NFL Team ??"  Sigh .... I'm pretty sure my vote has vanished
into the SI bit bucket, but we gotta start somewhere .... <grin>

                                        Cheers from Maryland - Jim

Go 'Cats, hockey nomads in '94/95 ....