Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 12:57:08 EST
Hampshire, Friday night.And some other observations on the regionals, etc.

Despite what everyone assumed would be an Engineer walk-over, I suffered
through severe pre-game doubts regarding the outcome.  As every RPI fan
knows, it was a roller coster ride this year, and by no stretch of the
imagination could it be said that the Engineers had discovered how to play
consistently.  And there were two particularly ominous predictors: the
female violinist didn't play the "Star Spangled Banner" (and why didn't the
Knick play "O Canada"?) and it was a Friday game.  It seems that Friday night
brings out the most repugnant play from the Engineers, with the exception of
course of the Tuesday night game against New Hampshire in November.

Well the game unfortunately met my expectations.  RPI's offense had departed
for Daytona after the second period against Clarkson in Lake Placid.  Mike
M of course reminded me of our preseason discussions on the Engineers' lack of
a "go-to" guy, and the team proceeded to live up to Mike's prediction.

Neil Little played outstanding--maybe his best game of the season.  I thought
his stand through the UNH 5 on 3 was one of the great sequences in hockey
this season.  Both UNH goals were quality efforts.  And I can't fault the
Engineer defense much either.  I had warned others in the Hockey-L section
that they were in for a night of 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's and breakaways.  Yet RPI's
defense responded and played sound positional hockey.  Even on the occasional
2 on 1's the RPI defensemen (especially Bartel and Cuthbert) broke up the rush
effectively.

But, 7 periods without a goal?  RPI's finishers brought back memories of the
factory line for the Chevy Vega: they worked together so nicely, but they
produced a piece of junk.  After a raucous beginning, the RPI fans began to
quiet down.  After the 1-0 lead most of the veterans in the audience shut up
altogether, they'd seen the game before.  While the Engineers never folded, it
just seemed like they never were in it.  Nothing more worth saying.

Wisconsin vs. Western Michigan
This game was boring.  I honestly didn't mind the delay for the lights going
out.  It was just as exciting with the players off the ice.  I was a little
surprised to see a CCHA team that seemed to be so mechanical.  I would have to
say that if Western Michigan exemplifies the play in the league this year,
that the CCHA has come back to Earth after their strong run in the 90's.

Wisconsin, to echo other comments, is one of the most undisciplined teams I've
seen.  Jason Zent has the dubious honor of earning consecutive penalties in
playoff games at the Knick--he was the last penalty in the 1992 championship
game, and the first in the regionals in 1994.  Wisconsin is also the only team
that allows its big guns, Shier, Fairchild, Zent et. al. to lead their team in
penalty minutes.  I always thought you wanted you scorers out on the ice, not
in the penalty box.

BU vs. Wisconsin
BU's defense was stifling.  The only highlight for Wisconsin was the band's
Where's Waldo? cheer for the BU band.  They should make the NCAA final but..

Harvard vs. UNH
Harvard should win it.  This team has arrived.  Their defensive corps are the
best in the nation.  McCann is my pick for the Hobey.  Granted I haven't seen
Oliver, Wiseman and others from the West, but I think he's got the right
credentials.  Harvard's D utterly controlled the game.  Their break-out play
is flawless.  And now, the offense has learned to feed off the defense.  The
power play has turned into a deadly weapon.  The unit with McCann as third
point man, and Farrell down low, is overpowering.  And then you've got Martins,
who can skate through a defense at will, to worry about.

The only possible roadblock to the Crimson is Jeff Jackson.  IMHO Jackson is
the best big game coach today.  Who would have imagined the Lakers very nearly
forechecking Maine out of Bradley Center last year?  Or wearing down and
frustrating a Badger team in 1992 into giving up a championship it had all
but won?  On paper Harvard has the horses, but that doesn't alway lead to a
victory.  Look for Lacher and Israel to put on a goaltender's duel, until
Harvard ekes out a win in the third.

Final Thoughts on the Regionals
Thanks to everyone in the Hockey-L section and those who stopped over to talk.
I had a particularly enjouable experience and look forward to seeing everyone
again next year at Providence.

And how about the Knick for the phinal phour in 2000, or 2001, or 2002...?
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY