Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 10:55:58 EST
Brian Gentry asks... a couple of thoughts as a BU fan:
> 1)  Why was Roloson first and Herlofsky second?  Herlofsky has a much superior
> GAA than Roloson has (2.46 vs. 2.83).  Is it because Roloson has played more
> games?

Well, to repeat a quote, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics."  GAA
is the single most distorted stat around IMO.  It very much reflects the
surrounding players on the team.  I'll bet that Jamie Ram out west has a higher
GAA than a lot of goalies in his league, but you just have to look at the
upsets MTU is pulling (apparently in a large part due to him) to realize that
he IS one of the best goalies in the West.  Save percentage is a bit better as
a stat, since it at least takes into account the number of shots a goalie
faces, although it too fails in that the average 10 shots that a goalie on a
weak team faces are probably stronger than the average 10 that a goalie on a
strong team faces.  Having a good defense to clear away rebounds makes a
difference there too.  Roloson's save percentage is an excellent 90.7.  I don't
have Herlofsky's but even it is was higher, I'd still rate Rollie first.  I'm
a big UML fan, but it's no secret that BU is number one in the nation.  You'd
expect their goalie to have terrific stats.

Games played IS important.  Rollie has played every game for UML this year.

Another thing that doesn't easily factor into stats is how well a goalie
handles the puck and starts breakouts.  Like Garth Snow did so well last
year.  Roloson has consistently done well at that this year.  The key goal in
the second game against Merrimack was due to Rollie catching Merrimack in a
line change, taking the puck almost at his own blue line, putting it up to
the forward (I forget who now), who was able to go in with teammates before
Merrimack's defenseman could get back.  Rollie did NOT get an assist because
two other Lowell players touched the puck before Bazin scored, but with your
more traditional goalie in net, Lowell wouldn't have scored.  Also, I'd
say that his ability to flip the puck out of the zone (just barely missing
the ceiling at Tully Forum) during penalty kills is an important reason why
UMass-Lowell leads the country in shorthanded kills.

Jack Parker in today's Globe was quoted as saying that Roloson is the best in
HE.

I think Rollie definitely deserved to be both First Team and Player of the Year.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*