Sender:
From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 1994 11:47:03 -0500
Dan Keel writes:
-----
"S. Wilson (?) slammed into a bunch of players
along the boards roughly where the face-off
circle is in the Cornell end. Murphy was right on
top of the play, as he was along the goal line,
right near where the penality happened. Noeth
was on the blue line on the FAR side and NOETH
CALLS THE PENALITY.

Is there anything in the rule book (or accepted
practice) that the ref right on top of the play gets
the call? To me this is as bad as Murphy
calling an offsides when Noeth is on the blue line."
-----

Not sure that "this is as bad" is a good way to put
this.  The play in question was clearly boarding,
and Noeth made the correct call.  Given the kind
of game Murphy calls, it's surprising the ECAC
doesn't put three referees out there when he's
scheduled  :-)

Seriously, it was the correct call, and I have no
problem if the ref farther from the play makes it.
Murphy was probably watching the action
around the goal and didn't see Wilson get run.

----------------0000----------------------

Martins' entire weekend was something else, and
that final goal was the cherry on top.  As I saw it,
after he had stickhandled through the entire team
and was yanked down, his head was falling towards the
net as his legs were coming out from under him
and sliding away from the net.  He pulled his stick
around in a wide semi-circle, clockwise, starting at
his right side and finishing pointing directly at the
net, with almost the entire blade down on the ice.
The puck slid off and wobbled past Bandurski's
stick and into the net.  Martins was not already
past the net at his point of release, though he was
sliding pretty hard towards the boards.

Wow, that was hard to describe without visual
aids.  Hope it made some sense.

Greg
Cambridge