Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 20:40:49 EST
News release from USA Hockey:

USA Hockey has announced the roster of players named to the 1994 US
Women's National Team (posted earlier to H-L), which will compete in
the 1994 International Ice Hockey Federation Women's World Ice Hockey
Championship, set for April 11-17 in Lake Placid, N.Y.

The 20-person US roster features nine players who competed in both the
1990 and 1992 IIHF Championships: Beth Beagan, Lisa Brown, Cindy
Curley, Cammi Granato, Sue Merz, Jeanine Sobek, Shawna Davidson, Kelly
O'Leary and Kelly Dyer.

Granato helped lead the USA to second place finishes in both champion-
ships.  She was all-tournament in 1992 after scoring 10 points on 8
goals and 2 assists in five games.

"Our roster has a nice blend of veteran players with world-level
experience and fast-rising newcomers," said Karen Kay (UNH), head
coach of the 1994 Team USA.  "I like the overall balance we have with
this team.  Our goal is simple: we want to improve upon the silver
medal finishes of 1990 and 1992 by winning the gold this year.  There
is no question we have our work cut out for us.  There are a number of
strong teams (Canada, Finland) capable of challenging for medals."

US goaltenders Erin Whitten and Kelly Dyer were both on the 1992 team.
Whitten made history on Oct. 30, 1993 when, as a member of the ECHL's
Toledo Storm, she became the first woman goaltender ever to win a pro-
fessional ice hockey game, posting a 6-5 victory over the Dayton
Bombers.  Whitten currently plays for the CHL's Dallas Freeze.

The field for the 1994 Women's World Championship includes Canada
(the two-time defending world champion), Sweden, Norway and China
in Pool A, along with Finland, Germany, Switzerland and the USA in
Pool B.

end of release
start of rhun comments:

This team is the exact same team that played last summer in San
Antonio, except Dyer is now on the team and Hanley is alternate
goalie.

Vicki Movsessian was a surprise pick to me.  I saw her not two
weeks ago at the ECAC Final Four on crutches with an injured ankle/
foot?  I would love to have her play for Team USA.  I hope their
medical report is spot on!

I have to say that while I like all the players picked, I am sorry to
not see Sue Reece on defense.  To me she was a must go.  I also
thought Shannon Bryant was really close to making it on defense.
On offense its hard to believe that Kathy Issel did not make it.  I'm
shocked myself.  I would also have liked to see Alison Wheeler and
Katie King on the team.  They are both college first-year players
and I suppose the idea is that their time will come.  With the 1998
Olympics only 4 years off, I would have gone for a few young players
like Wheeler and King.  That is what it seems Team Canada is doing.
Still the average age for Team Canada is 25.5, while Team USA is 23.5.

Only a little over three weeks left till the championship begins! YES!

/
 good shooting
 rhun