Sender:
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 20:11:47 -0500
On Wed, 16 Mar 1994, John R. Nash wrote:

>         And oh yes, the Harvard administration has tried to crack down on
> "inappropriate" cheers by the band and crowd.  When I was there ('87-'91),
> "suck" was a four-letter word, but we sometimes forgot that. :-)  Banners
> would often get confiscated and certain cheers were strictly "back of the
> band" cheers, done without the express consent of the band staff.  Of
> course, they were usually the funniest...

With the explicit exception of the "Black Hole" cheer, the word "suck" is
again a four-letter word for the Band. :( There are easy ways around this
("schmuck" sounds enough the same, and most cases "sieve" suffices anyway),
and I can see where we were falling into a rut with "Hey, ____ {Gates,
Thomas, ...}, ____ {the LAPD, Anita Hill, ...} called, he/she/they said
you suck!" Still, it's not quite the same...

--Matt

Matt Bruce ([log in to unmask]); my opinions are uniquely mine.