Sender:
From:
Kevin Reester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 1994 07:39:16 +22316520
On Tue, 15 Mar 1994, Matt wrote:

>         Someone noted that RPI fans chant "Let's Go Red". Which reminds
> me: I assume many of you have seen Cornell play RPI. Other than that, is
> their any proof that the two teams are different? RPI has a better
> record, but similar uniforms, styles and cheers. Even their bands are
> essentially the same.
>
> Just wondering,
> Matt

I would have to agree with you on similar cheers, bands, etc... But one
thing I noticed when I attended my first RPI/Cornell game is that the
Cornell fans shout 'RED' during the part of the National Anthem (... and
the rockets RED glare ...).  I found this to be rather annoying at first,
but then I thought, "hey... they're just singing loud" and thats okay.
Anyway, when I went to my first RPI game this season (not against
Cornell), there was a small portion of the RPI crowd that did the same
thing.
On a related note, I have heard RPI fans cheer "Let's Go White" during
home RPI/Cornell games to avoid the confusion, I guess.

And finally, someone made a post stating that Clarkson fans are usually
much louder than the opposing teams fans.  I would not agree with that at
all, especially since they moved into Cheel.  I have attended three or
four games there now and each time the small section of opposing teams
fans were generally more active and louder throughout the whole game (with
the exception of when Clarkson scored a goal of course).  And a couple of
those games were not against RPI.  I must say that before Cheel arena (I
forget the name of the old rink down the road), Clarkson was one of the
craziest and most intimidating places to watch a game.  Anyone else notice
this as well?

Kevin Reester
RPI '90