Sender:
From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 12:12:43 EST
Today's Newsday reports that Peter and Chris Ferraro have returned to Maine,
with their father indicating they were on the 3 PM Pt. Jefferson-to-Bridgeport
ferry.  Ferraro Sr. indicated that Rangers GM Neil Smith wasn't interested in
signing them at present (what, 3 Olympians is enough?).

Maine's coach Walsh is quoted "We're excited to have them back.  We'll welcome
them back with open arms.  They're going to be put right on our power-play and
penalty-killing units."

Ferraro senior indicated that the twins will play for Team USA at the World
Championships April 25-May 8 in Balzano.

Former Black Bear Jim Montgomery, whose picture in a St. Blues uniform is
displayed prominently on the back page, is quoted as saying that was the best
decision they could make.

"The four-year college experience helped me grow socially, mentally and
physically, the experience of college hockey helps you mature.  The Ferraros
had one year at Maine.  This year was like a traveling circus.

No doubt they have the ability to play in the NHL.  But if they stay in college
I think it will help them develop better and minimize their time in the minors.
It also will help them restore their confidence.  They could dominate in
college.

Once you get to pro hockey, it's a business.  Mr. Ferraro is an intelligent
man.  I just know college hockey is the finest part of your life.  There's no
money.  You're just a team going out to win.  I think they need that right now.
I don't think they need the pressure of turning pro and trying to make the
Rangers, one of the best teams, if not the best, in the NHL."

All in all, Jim Montgomery sounds like a pretty nice guy.

Also, the article indicates Walsh spoke with Paul Kariya, who said he might
return to Maine, but is considering signing with the Mighty Ducks.
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY